Whether I’m visiting Europe, a nearby city, or the Caribbean, my carry on is always packed the same way. Here are my carry on must haves:
- Wallet – Obvious, but I always clean it out before I go anywhere. My wallet is usually stuffed with rewards cards and other stuff to make it bulky and heavy. Clear it out with cards and ID you’ll need.
- ID – Again, obvious. Have valid photo identification with you and on your person at all times.
- All of your travel documents. I don’t risk putting any of my travel documents in my suit case. Generally, I print out everything and anything I think I’ll need and put it in a manilla envelope. The envelope is also a great place to put business cards or any other little souvenirs you want to save.
- A book, Kobo/Kindle, magazine or any reading material. Airports always mean long waits, have something to keep you entertained. Also keep any of your travel books with you for the city you’re landing in.
- Chargers. Ideally your cell phone, but also tablet, camera or whatever chargeable device you’re bringing.
- Camera. If you’re bringing a camera with you, put it in your carry on. I had once put mine in my suitcase. The on/off button was hit during transit but there wasn’t enough room for it to open so it broke. Sad, sad day. Luckily it was on the way home and the HD card was fine. Lesson learned, though.
- Toiletries. I always have a little bag with a toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, hand sanitizer, tissues, hand cream and sunscreen. I usually keep this pack with me during my daily travels, but take out the toothbrush and toothpaste. (Some European bathrooms have no toilet paper or running water – this is my back up, always.)
- Mini Medical Kit. I found out when I was 18 I (all of a sudden) had an allergy to melons. I don’t like to risk it, so in every carry on I have a second bag with Tylenol, Advil, Benadryl, Gravol, Band-Aids (of all shapes and sizes), Polysporin and a hair band or two.
- Socks. (And underwear.) I always bring socks because my feet are always cold. Even on a flight to the caribbean. And underwear because I’m beyond paranoid about loosing my suitcase.
What is in your carry on?